View Full Version : time for right wing americans...

mekajinn
2007-04-18, 00:40
to formulate the true 'knee jerk' reaction to the latest advert for stricter gun control laws.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6563565.stm

nicobie
2007-04-18, 01:03
to formulate the true 'knee jerk' reaction to the latest advert for stricter gun control laws.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6563565.stm

More guns.

Only if everybody is armed are we safe.

Why wasn't that prick killed quickly?

mekajinn
2007-04-18, 01:17
More guns.

Only if everybody is armed are we safe.

Why wasn't that prick killed quickly?

http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/data/phonebook/queries/guninjuries94.php

"The Australian firearm homicide rate is higher than England and Wales, about equal to Switzerland, but much lower than Canada and the United States.

The proportion of firearm homicide is minimal in England and Wales but represents 70% of United States homicides.

In Australia the proportion of firearm homicide is 21%, in Canada 26% and Switzerland 40%

in Switzerland ownership of a firearm is mandatory.

So thanks but no thanks... I'd rather live in England.

eclectica
2007-04-18, 09:58
There's a tendency after something bad happens, for lawmakers and policymakers to try to change things so that they believe it won't happen again. After something bad happens there is a desire of the public to blame either somebody or something for when things go wrong, and to believe that such things could have been preventable, as if they were accidents.

What worries me is that school officials will be told to be on the lookout for anyone who has disturbing behavior or disturbing writing, which they think is the same thing. After reading this article:
University 'warned about gunman' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6566571.stm)
you can see that the suggestion is there that there were warning signs because the kid wrote some disturbing pieces of literature. So I'm worried that in the future, any writing or behavior which can be perceived to be disturbing or out of the ordinary would be grounds for scrutiny or expulsion from school. And that would adversely affect the free creative writing of students. It would also bring extra suspicion to anyone who is different from the norm, or anyone who is weird and just can't be figured out.

mekajinn
2007-04-18, 22:33
There's a tendency after something bad happens, for lawmakers and policymakers to try to change things so that they believe it won't happen again. After something bad happens there is a desire of the public to blame either somebody or something for when things go wrong, and to believe that such things could have been preventable, as if they were accidents.

What worries me is that school officials will be told to be on the lookout for anyone who has disturbing behavior or disturbing writing, which they think is the same thing. After reading this article:
University 'warned about gunman' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6566571.stm)
you can see that the suggestion is there that there were warning signs because the kid wrote some disturbing pieces of literature. So I'm worried that in the future, any writing or behavior which can be perceived to be disturbing or out of the ordinary would be grounds for scrutiny or expulsion from school. And that would adversely affect the free creative writing of students. It would also bring extra suspicion to anyone who is different from the norm, or anyone who is weird and just can't be figured out.

that's a brilliant point... I am with you all the way on that...

on the other hand whilst in the gun shop all Cho had to do was tick the 'no' box next to the question that asked "do you have any signs of mental instability?" and the weapon was his.

I think the main thing that can be surmised from all of thsi is that certain people involved with the sale of firearms didn't take that act as seriously as they should have... it seems just so routine that it's easy to just not bother with some of the red tape.

nicobie
2007-04-20, 01:00
Can you imange how many tens of million guns are already in the hands of 'citizens' in the US.

You proprose to take them all away? It will never happen. Just look at the religious fanitics in the middle east. Think the UN can pry them usi's out of the hands of the Israel people?

Methinks not....

It is easy to make a gun. Google it.

mekajinn
2007-04-20, 17:06
Can you imange how many tens of million guns are already in the hands of 'citizens' in the US.

You proprose to take them all away? It will never happen. Just look at the religious fanitics in the middle east. Think the UN can pry them usi's out of the hands of the Israel people?

Methinks not....

It is easy to make a gun. Google it.

and just where did anyone in this thread propose to take away all the guns?

nowhere... just another confrontational knee jerk reaction nic...

number of guns in the US... 200 million.

I think it's glaringly obvious that it's too easy to get a gun in the US.

nicobie
2007-04-22, 00:35
and just where did anyone in this thread propose to take away all the guns?

nowhere... just another confrontational knee jerk reaction nic...

number of guns in the US... 200 million.

I think it's glaringly obvious that it's too easy to get a gun in the US.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

methinks that

You are saying 3 things ~~~~

If there are 200 million guns , how can they be taken away? They can't

Yes it is easy to get a gun in the US.

And what is so confrontational about that? Maybe it would be safer if everybody packed.

Do U rely on the fuc'n cops to keep U safe? Not wise Meka...... all they want is their paycheck and could give a shit about what U need.