View Full Version : Dollar Mos Def Deserves Cable

napho
2004-02-28, 15:31
She's had a tough life up until now. Her mother wasn't content to have the dogs fetch a stick so she had her poor daughter chase garbage cans down the driveway. Surely a low point in Dollar's life. :eek:
Despite that adversity she's managed to survive; now it's cable time. :rasta: :drunk: :clap:

nicobie
2004-02-29, 01:03
:beer:

Hi napo........

Dollar_Girl
2004-03-07, 12:43
still no cable... napho... if you're out there buddy... include me in your prayers at night... pray that the cable will happen soon :beer:

Beejus
2004-03-07, 15:13
My father (over the summer) made a desperate attempt at getting a new ISP into our town because PineTree eXPress (ptc-me.net) just wasn't cutting it....

PTC offers cable, and that's what we have, however, to reach a download speed of 20k/sec is like seeing your first boob... it's great, it's unexpected, and then it's gone... On top of the shitty speeds, there is also downtime of a few days...you know it's sad when you connect and you can't even load Google.com in under 3 minutes... :eek: something really isn't right with this ISP...

Anywho, so my dad wanted to get DSL, he heard it was better and all of that. Well, he went to Verizon.com and saw that you could enter your number and see if you qualify, he did, but nothing was available in our area, but there was a part where you could "submit intrest"... so my dad figured the more interest the better the odds of DSL to come... so my dad dug out the phone book and entered people's numbers from our town, he did this all day, probably listed everyone that is in this town, even though that's only a little over 2,500...(yeah, small town life sucks btw).....

Anywho, a few months later, there is a banner downtown "DSL IS ARRIVING JAN. 1st 2004".... my dad FREAKS out... all my friends subscribe and are all like "this rocks"....well, what happens to us? heh... where's 2 miles too far out of "town" (even though we are still in the town, we are on a side ride, Kennebec Rd, and it's 2 miles out of the range for DSL)..... anyone wanna guess how pissed off my dad was???

He told a lot of people that he was doing the phonebook thing, so when they all got DSL turned on, they messaged him online and thanked him...he's the father of DSL here...even though he has cable..

eclectica
2004-03-07, 21:21
Originally posted by Beejus
to reach a download speed of 20k/sec is like seeing your first boob... it's great, it's unexpected, and then it's gone
lol

The problem with DSL is that you have to be close to the telephone central office. You can see where your C.O. is by entering your area code and exchange here (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/areacode.adp).

SBC has done more to address the problem by building remote central offices, hooked up by fiber to the main central office, and then running copper DSL lines to the customer. That is smart of them because DSL is the only reason that many people would bother to even have a phone line, in light of competition from internet cable and cell phones.

Universal telephone service charges the same price everywhere for the telephone, but in reality it costs the phone company more to provide phone service in a rural area. Verizon makes more money off of Manhattan than off of Bumblefuck, Maine, where they have to run a quarter mile of phone cable to service one customer.

Telephone deregulation is a mistake because it doesn't recognize the role that local Bell companies have had in providing the universal service by charging above market value in Manhattan, so that the dude in Bumblefuck Maine can have a cheaper, subsized phone service. But when they open up the markets in the interest of competition, then some bullshit company like MCI gets to handpick where it will compete, and tries to provide local phone service in selected spots in Manhattan.

Also, I think it would be nice if there were a universal broadband service, as there was universal telephone service in the past, meaning that the cities would subsidize the rural areas in the development of broadband.

A country like South Korea has a high saturation of broadband because it is so small and compact, and the government has helped foster the growth of it.

These are all issues that the FCC is responsible for.

eclectica
2004-03-07, 21:41
Perhaps the best thing to hope for in rural areas is broadband over power lines. Here is an article on that:
http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/policy/story/0,10801,90212,00.html

Dollar_Girl
2004-03-07, 23:09
Originally posted by Beejus
My father (over the summer) made a desperate attempt at getting a new ISP into our town because PineTree eXPress (ptc-me.net) just wasn't cutting it....

PTC offers cable, and that's what we have, however, to reach a download speed of 20k/sec is like seeing your first boob... it's great, it's unexpected, and then it's gone... On top of the shitty speeds, there is also downtime of a few days...you know it's sad when you connect and you can't even load Google.com in under 3 minutes... :eek: something really isn't right with this ISP...

Anywho, so my dad wanted to get DSL, he heard it was better and all of that. Well, he went to Verizon.com and saw that you could enter your number and see if you qualify, he did, but nothing was available in our area, but there was a part where you could "submit intrest"... so my dad figured the more interest the better the odds of DSL to come... so my dad dug out the phone book and entered people's numbers from our town, he did this all day, probably listed everyone that is in this town, even though that's only a little over 2,500...(yeah, small town life sucks btw).....

Anywho, a few months later, there is a banner downtown "DSL IS ARRIVING JAN. 1st 2004".... my dad FREAKS out... all my friends subscribe and are all like "this rocks"....well, what happens to us? heh... where's 2 miles too far out of "town" (even though we are still in the town, we are on a side ride, Kennebec Rd, and it's 2 miles out of the range for DSL)..... anyone wanna guess how pissed off my dad was???

He told a lot of people that he was doing the phonebook thing, so when they all got DSL turned on, they messaged him online and thanked him...he's the father of DSL here...even though he has cable..

lol dude, ur dad makes me proud man... tell him he's an inspiration :D This is like one of those hero stories... u know... woman dedicates life to saving gorillas in the jungle... see's them as her children... 10 years later, gorilla bites her head off - there is no justice!

i say, relocate your house... just drag it further closer to the town centre :beer:

nicobie
2004-04-24, 01:34
did you get ur cable? and where are you liebling?

What an ass.

I give up $.

U want to encourage the pervet...

wtf, why not.

Criminal_Sniper
2004-04-24, 09:03
wow thing we could contract him round the world
ur dad seems pretty cool
i can imagine how red his face was though

Tim why speak german when im not allowed to answer u?
bastard :D

Dollar_Girl
2004-07-03, 07:27
my last and final update on my cable status... in another thread i mentioned my puter was at the computer man being cleaned of the 20 something virusus (VIRI?) found in it... it was connected to cable for three short days or so... and after all my many many thousands of files were deleted by the computer man, my computer has been found to be irriparable... and is being sold for a mere $700.00 to a person i distantly know...

*sigh*