View Full Version : the finer things in life

Dollar_Girl
2004-06-11, 02:04
what are some of your simple pleasures?

To me... freshly cracked pepper is one of the best things in the world... i put it on everything... i layer it on... untill it forms a crust...

Vine ripened tomatos... that smell like the green part of the vine... i eat at least a bag full of tomatos a week, but i dont enjoy them if they are those big orange coloured ones that taste granular and flavourless... as though they were pumped with water and somehow were too high to mature...

I love fresh herbs... my three all time favourites are coriander, flat-leaf parsley and mint... i buy mint from the markets in big bunches... and i take a bunch with me on the train and eat it on the way to work...and corriander i will chop up finely, leaf,stem and root... add a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, chili sea salt and freshly cracked pepper... and then use it as a sauce for those gigantic king prawns... or even freshly bbq'd squid.

I love a good bottle of olive oil... extra virgin...

I love going on a road-trip somewhere, even if just for the day... and while ur in the country with the sun shining through the mountains u open up all your windows and let the sun shine down on u while inhailing the fresh air...

I love Lillies... i love them more than any flower to exist... the purple pink ones... they smell like a whole new world... they transform the room they are in, into a better place... because of the smell... because of the view they create.

I also love tea... i'm always brewing tea on the stove... i grow my own and dry my own, i then add lemon rind, cherries and fresh mint...

Autumm is my favourite time of the year... because the sun is out, the clouds are well rounded and fluffy and i dont feel overpowered by the heat which can irritate me... the weather is perfect... and i think i am happiest in the autumm, because that is the time of the year i find myself to be laying in the grass and daydreaming, instead of worrying.

In autumm, i become a bit of a dreamer... a bit more than usual...

anyway, i was looking through an old book of 'poems' i wrote when i was in the ages of 13-14, and found this :

Maybe i'm carless
but it's only because the world is such a hopless place.

But not all the time...
sometimes i have faith in humanity to help teach me when i do wrong,
to inspire me to be hopeful, sensitive and strong...

calmness, passion, love and punishment
will all lead to the movement of a stubborn spirit - a soul set in its way,
the world can inspire even the most tainted man
yesterday, forever and especially today.

anyway, i liked the explanation i had written with it, which was directly beneath the piece of writting :

Don't create and set a perminent mood for your outlook and perception of the world. Let your inspiration, hopefulness, hopelesness, joy and devestation come naturally based on what has happened and what IS happening TODAY.

Try not to become a hard-core cynic, but avoid pure optimism too. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, but dont let it completely over-power you.
=====

The explanation struck a chord with me, because i realised that many ppl are either always negative... and even tend to make positive things negative... or some ppl always put on a smile and try to make light of things that really shouldn't be made positive...

My mother and father have become very negative ppl, and even my joys they manage to break down into negativity... and i realised that they have set a permiment mood for their outlook on life... and maybe have fallen into a routine of negative thinking... i think that is unnatural.

People who constantly smile and never show anger or hurt are also unnatural... and when they try to mask up painful and hurtful things with standard positivity like "i'm sorry your daughter died, but she was too good for this earth" or "it was god's will" is especially crap... because mourning and rejoycing all have their place in life, light and dark, frown and smile, tears and joy...

so all that brought me to the simple things in life that still manage to make us think "SHIT...life is great" ... coz it ain't all bad... but it aint all good... but the simple things like sunshine or fresh pepper will always be there... through your pains and through your joys.

here are some pictures of when i recently went to warick which is about 2 hours drive inland.

the first picture is of me enjoying one of the simple pleasures i stated in this thread... in country amonst mountains with the window down and the sun shining on my face and my hair going everywhere... it was fantastic.

the rest is scenery of autumm in warick.

Dollar_Girl
2004-06-11, 02:29
crepes with lemon and sugar is probably the best dessert ever... so simple, so delicious. yummmmm

Criminal_Sniper
2004-06-11, 03:39
shit autumn is my fav season too
i was born in may maybe thats why
the first thing i knew was autumn perhaps?
are u an autumn baby $girl?

my favourite foods are:
Wiener Schnitzel (not chicken BTW beef-though i like them too) with lemon and mashed potatoe and pumpkin (mixed - i cant stand pumpkin on its own for some reason)
Apple Strudel with cream or ice cream
pasta anything pasta really
and buritos (spelling?) i really like chilli

drinks
vodka
water
(sometimes i get confused)
red creaming soda (a special brand only)
schweppes lemonade (dont like sprite as much)

i like to cook with natural oils too not those animal fat ones yukky

slow sex on the beach
mmmmm yeah (but not in winter ouwie)

martial arts, philosophy, psychology, mental training and calmness, meditation, science, engineering, languages, conspiracy theory/reality,
music, history, military history, communicating

values i hold dear are freedom, free speech, free opinions, thirst for knowledge, acceptance, courage to stand up when needing to, lowalty, thruth and love (romantic, patriotic or hot and sweaty :p)

stubornness when needed is the only things that holds us from falling to the ground
but accepting defeat is sometimes needed

eclectica
2004-06-11, 03:42
A fool can not find happiness from the simple things in life. Woe is he who ruminates over his unhappiness on the therapist's couch, rather than going out and living life. There are plenty of things in life to appreciate. It's nothing specific for me but I tend to be happier when the weather is warm and the days are long. I dislike the Winter and the cold.

People do not need to look in other places for Paradise, because it can be found right here on Earth. There is plenty of beauty in the World, whether it be in flowers or in women.

I have to be in that right frame of mind when I realize just how great life is to the point of it being euphoric. It doesn't happen too often. Sometimes I get a good feeling after jogging or when I am well rested. I would say that in general I am always in a good mood, though not in a euphoric good mood. My mood tends to get worse towards the evening when I get tired and withdraw from caffeine, or when sobering up from alcohol. After my morning caffeine it is difficult to feel depressed.

On Monday I went to the park with my daughter and I was thinking of how wonderful life is, and how much I have to appreciate in life. Ever since she's been born I've gotten a lot of happiness from her.

I think of myself as upbeat and I feel mentally healthy and free. Unfortunately my wife has a negative outlook towards life and focuses a lot on the bad things. She ruminates over the bad things that happen to her in life and gets into bad moods for weeks at a time. She's been seeing a therapist for eight years, which to me is a problem and not a solution.

Criminal_Sniper
2004-06-11, 04:14
tim if u are really like that and are just holding back wait for the second u open ur mouth mate we have much more shit on u wouldnt u agree
dont be childish
be kinder for once
see how these silly little things u say can hurt
u say things that dont need to be said
when people say things to u that NEED to be said u are way to defensive
open up some more dude
let us bathe u with our light and hope
nobody is here to hurt u
though im a little suspicous about nicobie :p

E i hope ur wife gets some peace of mind
maybe tell her to get a piece of paper and write down the things she dosent like about her life (and tell her to be brutal with the truth and not to lie to herself - she may see what she needs to work out or that its not so bad
good luck in anycase

mekajinn
2004-06-15, 00:42
what are some of your simple pleasures?

To me... freshly cracked pepper is one of the best things in the world... i put it on everything... i layer it on... untill it forms a crust...

I like all pepper, but freshly cracked black peppercorns are great... but i think a crust is a little excessive... do u know how much peppercorns cost eh?

Vine ripened tomatos... that smell like the green part of the vine... i eat at least a bag full of tomatos a week, but i dont enjoy them if they are those big orange coloured ones that taste granular and flavourless... as though they were pumped with water and somehow were too high to mature...

i like tomatoes... but they do need to have a certain 'tartness' about them... i eat salad sandwiches most days... the ones i had today were so big that they fell to pieces dammit.

I love fresh herbs... my three all time favourites are coriander, flat-leaf parsley and mint... i buy mint from the markets in big bunches... and i take a bunch with me on the train and eat it on the way to work...and corriander i will chop up finely, leaf,stem and root... add a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, chili sea salt and freshly cracked pepper... and then use it as a sauce for those gigantic king prawns... or even freshly bbq'd squid.

those prawns looked damn good... i hate u >=|

coriander rules... a must have in curry... rosemary also rocks with any lamb recipe... as does mint... but eating mint on the way to work probably means you're mental.

I love a good bottle of olive oil... extra virgin...

i prefer beer :p

I love going on a road-trip somewhere, even if just for the day... and while ur in the country with the sun shining through the mountains u open up all your windows and let the sun shine down on u while inhailing the fresh air...

do u do that on ur own? i was just wondering, cuz i would do, but it's boring on your own... well it's not... but u know what i mean.

I love Lillies... i love them more than any flower to exist... the purple pink ones... they smell like a whole new world... they transform the room they are in, into a better place... because of the smell... because of the view they create.

i like roses... i kinda like lilies but they are a funeral flower are they not?

i also like bluebells.

I also love tea... i'm always brewing tea on the stove... i grow my own and dry my own, i then add lemon rind, cherries and fresh mint...

i prefer orange juice and grapefruit juice mixed... i think it's a bit witch-like to boil stuff up in ur cauldron and drink it... i mean... we only know what u say u put in it... but what about the eye of newt, scrotum of dingo and hair of redback? ugh =|

Autumm is my favourite time of the year... because the sun is out, the clouds are well rounded and fluffy and i dont feel overpowered by the heat which can irritate me... the weather is perfect... and i think i am happiest in the autumm, because that is the time of the year i find myself to be laying in the grass and daydreaming, instead of worrying.

In autumm, i become a bit of a dreamer... a bit more than usual...

I prefer spring... which is the same time of year as autumn for u southerners... i like it because the UK is kinda grey from maybe October to March... all the deciduous trees lose their leaves and the sun doesn't shine for what seems like aeons... it's really quite depressing =/

Then one day u smell spring... and there is a smell... and thus spring begins... but the first day of each season has a smell... or at least i think it does...

anyway, i was looking through an old book of 'poems' i wrote when i was in the ages of 13-14, and found this :

Maybe i'm carless
but it's only because the world is such a hopless place.

But not all the time...
sometimes i have faith in humanity to help teach me when i do wrong,
to inspire me to be hopeful, sensitive and strong...

calmness, passion, love and punishment
will all lead to the movement of a stubborn spirit - a soul set in its way,
the world can inspire even the most tainted man
yesterday, forever and especially today.

why is the world such a hopless place? have all rabbits been banned?

I liked the sentiment, especially the end... u were pretty smart when u were 14... what happened?

anyway, i liked the explanation i had written with it, which was directly beneath the piece of writting :

ur spelling truly sucks hahahah :p

Don't create and set a perminent mood for your outlook and perception of the world. Let your inspiration, hopefulness, hopelesness, joy and devestation come naturally based on what has happened and what IS happening TODAY.

Try not to become a hard-core cynic, but avoid pure optimism too. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, but dont let it completely over-power you.

======

The explanation struck a chord with me, because i realised that many ppl are either always negative... and even tend to make positive things negative... or some ppl always put on a smile and try to make light of things that really shouldn't be made positive...

yah, but life is shit and then u die. Really, it's all very well to come out with such advice, but if everyone followed such a path then we'd all still be living in caves would we not? I dunno, i'm just being contentious... it's all very well to be so level headed... or to say that ur that level headed... but just because u may think that you're like that it doesn't mean u actually are... u may be as stupidly optimistic or ridiculously pessemistic as the next person.

My mother and father have become very negative ppl, and even my joys they manage to break down into negativity... and i realised that they have set a permiment mood for their outlook on life... and maybe have fallen into a routine of negative thinking... i think that is unnatural.

People who constantly smile and never show anger or hurt are also unnatural... and when they try to mask up painful and hurtful things with standard positivity like "i'm sorry your daughter died, but she was too good for this earth" or "it was god's will" is especially crap... because mourning and rejoycing all have their place in life, light and dark, frown and smile, tears and joy...

so all that brought me to the simple things in life that still manage to make us think "SHIT...life is great" ... coz it ain't all bad... but it aint all good... but the simple things like sunshine or fresh pepper will always be there... through your pains and through your joys.

inspirational =]

here are some pictures of when i recently went to warick which is about 2 hours drive inland.

the first picture is of me enjoying one of the simple pleasures i stated in this thread... in country amonst mountains with the window down and the sun shining on my face and my hair going everywhere... it was fantastic.

the rest is scenery of autumm in warick.

i love the pic of u in the car... but i think u could take a pic of u during an outbreak of pimples sitting on the toilet picking ur nose and i would still love it... there's no accounting for taste... i always thought i had such good taste too :p

my simple pleasures are... orange and grapefruit juice... yum...

noodles... chicken flavour... it is the food of the single male.

football... it's good to know that however much suffering there is in the world that a good proportion of the populace can be entertained by 22 blokes kicking a ball round a bit of grass... fantastic =]

sleep... just brilliant.

chocolate milkshake... needs no explanation.

gummy fruit confectionary... omg i swear i am an addict gf. I really don't think they are very good for people though... but... i HAVE to have them >=|

there's more but i've put too much already.

Criminal_Sniper
2004-06-15, 01:11
nice!! someone else that likes grapefruit :p
anyway good post on thing i had to comment on was u said life is shit and then u die. As u said that isnt the right way to think
the right way to think is life is a bitch and then u die
see u can always be a bitch back but when swimming in shit u don't have much of a hope
even the biggest bitch can be broken so its worth giving it a try
only prob is these pockets of humanity that smell like shit

Dollar_Girl
2004-06-15, 15:28
chocolate milkshake... needs no explanation.

gummy fruit confectionary... omg i swear i am an addict gf. I really don't think they are very good for people though... but... i HAVE to have them >=|

i hate chocolate milkshakes... i made them at work all the time for ppl... we charge $5.50 for a lousy milkshake. Sometimes i feel bad for the prices we charge, so i give strangers discounts... i dont think that is very loyal of me, but how do u tell a person they owe u $11.00 because her two kids had a milkshake each.

I dont like gummy fruit confectionary either... but i like those little hard fruit lollies, that are like compressed powder inside. I went to the candy store (coz damnit there is one just 2 mins away from my work... WHY!?!?! WHY!!!!!) and i bought a big bag of hard little "runts" they are called, and those gigantic gum balls ay. Bubblegum Balls are addictive, because i chew them untill i can't even feel my tongue... meanwhile i probably have so much sugar running through my system, that i could just be, a human gumball myself.

Speaking of gumballs... i just had a flashback to my childhood of GUMBY... the green plastacine figure...

Today at work i got the worst period pains... i had to go buy some panadol because i thought i was dying, and i got to the public toilet, sat on the floor and i couldnt' stop throwing up, coz my uterus was convulsing so much it was making me so sick... so i then i took my panadol... and while it was working its wonders, i fell asleep while serving a customer... (yeah i'm such a good waitress!) so they let me go for a few hours... so i went to have a snooze in the grass, jsut opposite (maybe u guys remember the pictures i took of the parklands with the big tusk structures)... and i remembered another simple pleasure in life... sleeping in the sunshine, with the bright green grass contrasting the bright blue sky... and birds singing u to sleep... *sigh*

mekajinn
2004-06-15, 17:42
i hate chocolate milkshakes... i made them at work all the time for ppl... we charge $5.50 for a lousy milkshake. Sometimes i feel bad for the prices we charge, so i give strangers discounts... i dont think that is very loyal of me, but how do u tell a person they owe u $11.00 because her two kids had a milkshake each.

I dont like gummy fruit confectionary either... but i like those little hard fruit lollies, that are like compressed powder inside. I went to the candy store (coz damnit there is one just 2 mins away from my work... WHY!?!?! WHY!!!!!) and i bought a big bag of hard little "runts" they are called, and those gigantic gum balls ay. Bubblegum Balls are addictive, because i chew them untill i can't even feel my tongue... meanwhile i probably have so much sugar running through my system, that i could just be, a human gumball myself.

Speaking of gumballs... i just had a flashback to my childhood of GUMBY... the green plastacine figure...

Today at work i got the worst period pains... i had to go buy some panadol because i thought i was dying, and i got to the public toilet, sat on the floor and i couldnt' stop throwing up, coz my uterus was convulsing so much it was making me so sick... so i then i took my panadol... and while it was working its wonders, i fell asleep while serving a customer... (yeah i'm such a good waitress!) so they let me go for a few hours... so i went to have a snooze in the grass, jsut opposite (maybe u guys remember the pictures i took of the parklands with the big tusk structures)... and i remembered another simple pleasure in life... sleeping in the sunshine, with the bright green grass contrasting the bright blue sky... and birds singing u to sleep... *sigh*

why u telling me this? i would never share my gummy fruity things with the likes of u... especially now that i know u wouldn't appreciate them. As for chocolate milkshake... hmmm... $5 is a bit steep, even in oz money... but i reckon u would let me have one for free wouldn't u? If you did i would give u a good tip i promise =]

i fell asleep at work today also... there was only like 10 mins left til home time, but i was installing a printer, and it must have been really dull cuz the next thing i know the dude was asking me wtf was the matter... it was a good 5 minute power nap.

I am now eating soft cheese with pickled onion flavour snacks... pretty good... u probably hate that too dollar... good... cuz u wouldn't be getting any i can assure u :p

Dollar_Girl
2004-06-16, 16:02
i love my cheeses... my favourites are mozarella, parmesan and ricotta... also sheeps fetta cheese. Soft cheeses are the worst type of cheeses to become addicted to, because they are high in saturated fat and are more likely to be contaminated with bacteria.

mekajinn
2004-06-16, 16:31
i love my cheeses... my favourites are mozarella, parmesan and ricotta... also sheeps fetta cheese. Soft cheeses are the worst type of cheeses to become addicted to, because they are high in saturated fat and are more likely to be contaminated with bacteria.

ur a geek. that is all geekus.

except to say that i may share some cheese with u... just so u become addicted to the pickled onion monster munch dipped in it... then i would cruelly remove the item from ur grasp by scoffing it.

ha, ha and thrice ha :p

hooray... home time =D

Criminal_Sniper
2004-06-16, 22:24
Jarlsberg, Brie and Mozzarella are my favs
some Jarlsberg (norwegian cheese i think?) with some ham and Australian mustard is bliss to me
i also put it and mozzarella on my pizza's
another of my fav foods - homemade pizza

Criminal_Sniper
2004-06-16, 22:27
and is it just me or have u flicked some switch in ur head mekajinn?
a little crazyness :p