View Full Version : Man, I hate my hours

nanook
2004-09-24, 13:06
Noone is on. Everyone else is just starting their day and off to work. And here I am, just getting finished. Watching the sun come up and knowing I have to go and try to get some sleep.
I have to go to the doctor today at 2:00 to get a lump checked. It is just below my sternum and was only slightly painful enough for me to feel there and notice it.
I'm a little freaked about it.

Dollar_Girl
2004-09-24, 14:23
i know waht u mean!! i never see my friends because when they are finishing work, i am usually starting work... or when they are at work, i am off work and when they are off work on weekends, i am working! its so crap! and because i get my roster sometimes by the day, everytime i make plans, i have to cancel coz i am working. man that really blows.

man hope ur ok in regards to ur lump. I once found a lump under my arm, and it scared me. one thing i learnt from medical books i used to read as a kid, was if u can move the lump around and roll it between your fingers, then it is just in your skin and probably is just a cyst or something, but if it is in your meat, then ur in trouble.

i have never done a self examinatin of my breasts for breast cancer, even though i should. i am young, but these days women as young as 20 are getting breast cancer. i think i even recalll a girl that was 18? that is so scary. i have alot of pain in my womanly places like ovaries and uterus, and then wh en i read chick mags like cosmopolitan, they have adds like "period pain killed my girlfriend" and i am like omg i have horrible period pain, maybe i will die of ovarian cancer or something. theres so many things that can go wrong with ur body, and sometimes its hard not to get paranoid. sometimes i think... what are the chances of getting through life without some sort of huge medical drama? and that scares me, coz i have been pretty lucky so far, so that means something bad is coming, or something scary is already festering in my blood stream or something.

nicobie
2004-09-25, 00:40
early bird gets the worm? Is this good, I don't know.

Howerer my day started at 2:30 am for years and it sure didn't hurt me at all. On sunny days we were at the beach by 11:00 am.

eclectica
2004-09-25, 02:07
I used to have a security guard job at night from 23:00 to 07:00. It's hard to stay awake at night because it is unnatural, especially for a boring job like security. I used to resent how people would make all sorts of noise in the day and then be offended if you wanted to make some noise in the middle of the night disturbing their precious sleep.

I had trouble getting a good amount of sleep in the day and would wake up around 15:00 even though I wanted to sleep until like 19:00. I would take sleeping pills some times to try to sleep.

When working nights on my days off I would still go to sleep at midnight, which shows to me that it wasn't a schedule you could easily get used to.

The great thing about working nights is that you see all those beautiful sunrises.

nanook
2004-09-25, 10:47
First things first. The lump, my doctor says is part of my sternum. I said, "Well, I guess I never really checked the thing out before. lol." He feels it is just the muscles, which connect to the rib-cage, that are just sore or tender. I did fall flat at work. I had tripped. Maybe I had landed on it, cause I did fall flat. Had to look around to see who saw. lol. I don't know. I trust his opinion. I'll tell ya, though, he was poking and pressing on it and killing me. But, alas, I'm all good.

And you guys are right. If I'm gonna work the shitty shift, I should try to see the positive aspects of it. I know you guys will get to my posts eventually.
So don't mind me when I go off rambling to myself, in the meantime. lol.

Thanks, Dollar for your words. And you are right. We feel lucky, but like you say, it makes you wonder if you're still in for a big one. I guess that should make all of us live lives as if it could happen. The old saying, live like you've only got one day to live. Make the best of everyday.
Man, I'm beginning to ramble.

tim
2004-09-25, 14:17
it's s'all good.

Dollar_Girl
2004-09-25, 15:49
I used to have a security guard job at night from 23:00 to 07:00. It's hard to stay awake at night because it is unnatural, especially for a boring job like security. I used to resent how people would make all sorts of noise in the day and then be offended if you wanted to make some noise in the middle of the night disturbing their precious sleep.

I had trouble getting a good amount of sleep in the day and would wake up around 15:00 even though I wanted to sleep until like 19:00. I would take sleeping pills some times to try to sleep.

When working nights on my days off I would still go to sleep at midnight, which shows to me that it wasn't a schedule you could easily get used to.

The great thing about working nights is that you see all those beautiful sunrises.

those are hard hours. my boyfriend does lousy shift work too. There are 3 shifts, as follow : 6.30am-2.30pm, 2.30pm-10.30pm, 10.30pm-6.30am.

He does the first shift for 3 days... has one day off, then does the second shift for three days... has one day off and finally the third shift for three days, has one day off and then the cycle starts again.

this is bad, because ur body is never getting used to any routine and it disturbs the functioning of the mind and body.

and raar dude, glad ur lump is nothing serious... but lol @ u falling over. i once fell down the stairs at a train station... go figure. i still have the scar!

Criminal_Sniper
2004-10-06, 08:42
once i was being chased (by a friend)
and slipped on a nicely placed slippery rock and did my knee in really bad
i could see to the bone

other than breaking my right arm 7 times over my years it was one of the worst things ive done to myself
and i had to catch a bus and i was bleeding badly and i took off my sock and wrapped it around it or i had to walk home because the didnt want blood on the bus
fuck that hurt

glad its only a sternum prob raar
we do not know much of our own bodies

i find that i have no hours and no body clock but im not sure how it is bad for the mind and body

when u get used to a pattern sure it can be wierd getting used to not having one and the other way around
change is simply difficult
and in some northern societies where there is sometimes sunlight for six months in a year u get used to going out in the early hours

ask some people in northern tips of russia what the sleeping paterns are at some times of the year
canada too i guess