View Full Version : Shaman King

tim
2004-10-17, 15:38
while I'm thinking about it..the fox network has a really cool new cartoon...hey its 'anime'...you know in the same way that 'g.i. joe' isn't a barbie 'doll' its an action figure...heh..so its alright to watch an anime (so long as u don't call it a 'cartoon' hehehe)

Anyway I first heard of 'Shaman King' when messing around on irc not too long ago when I had cable again for the second time in my life (cable internet access) and I was on a channel where I met a girl who went by the nick 'moonbossa'. She was into this anime and introduced me to it.

At the time of this introduction 'shaman king' was available for distribition in the united states. Most 'anime' (japanese animation/cartoons) usually arrive in the U.S. either through television or by way of Dvd.
When a particuliar show isn't available or planned for release in the United States there are a few 'fansubbing' groups which get together and take the Original Japanese language version of these shows from Japanese tv and translate them into english by adding subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

I think i got episode 74 of shaman king in divx format subbed..and at the time didn't really understand or appreciate the show because I couldn't get into it without the enlish dubbing (english dubbing means it has actual english translation...actors redo the vocals so the characters on screen are speaking english instead of whatever language the show was originally in...not subtitles actual english dialogue) Dubbing is always preferable to me than subtitles but hey we take waht we are alloted.

Anyways I felt really elite as though I were part of a privileged group to have been introduced to this medium (Shaman King/japanese animation) before the mainstream (Fox/box an american tv station called 'Fox' aka the Fox Network) caught this tornado by the tail and unleashed it upon u.s. audiences.

They added a kick ass introductory song at the opening of each episode that actually sounds like it was sung by the guy who did the theme song for Urkel's hit show Family Matters. Incidentally you ever notice the same guy song the opening song for 'full house' as well with the Olsens twins?

Anyways I thought it was cool how they americanised it without completely bastardising it. I feel they really dida good job of it. Each episode of anime like this one has some 'life lesson' to teach us and this particuliar program really does that well without offending the viewer. The first 7 or 8 episodes reminded me of the original Dawson's Creek. I loved the FIRST SEASON of that show, Dawson's Creek but as the show drug on and on it seemed harder and harder to invent new storylines and towards the end of the shows conclusion they were really struggling and reaching for storylines and plot.

I'm not sure exactly where the American version of Shaman King is at in relation to the number of episodes in the series and their translation I'd guess that they are around 14 or 24...my gut instinct tells me 24 since I haven't watched religiously each episode that is on the Fox tv network on saturday's at 11:30a.m EST. I've missed quite a few and don't know or remember all the characters names but the latest one I saw involved a new character who wanted to become 'shaman king'

Shaman King is someone who can control spirits...you'll have to watch the show for more about this..anyway the guy gets into a fight where he's overwhelmed and outnumbered then 'Joey' (for lack of remembering his real name) joins him in this overwhelming fight. The new character, 'jason' (again for not remembering the real name) questions 'Joey's' helping of him saying that Joey isn't strong enough right now to do battle and Joey responds saying something along the lines of you know how when you wanted to be a 'shaman king' you would always pick out those who were stronger than you were to want to join them and would reject anyone weaker than you?
He replies, 'yes'.
Then he askes him, "why do you think anyone who was able to beat/defeat you would want you on Their team by your own reasoning?"
He doesn't know and says, "i dunno."
The joey goes on to explain that individually we are weak but taken together as a group we are very strong.

This got me to thinking about dionysians. Individually each of us are pretty weak (even the strong ones) but taken together collectively as a group we're all tough.

This made me appreciate each of us more.

Thank-you group for having me play a part in a team as long as I remember this it retards my antisocial tendencies when I think of how we are all interdependent upon each other for the success of 'our forum'

tim
2004-10-22, 14:55
listen up, Sharepro aka 'eclectica' your forum is falling apart..members have left in droves and activity here is miniscule. The fault for all of this lies with you.

tim
2004-10-22, 14:57
listen up, Sharepro aka 'eclectica' your forum is falling apart..members have left in droves and activity here is miniscule. The fault for all of this lies with you.

I had a 2 second debate with myself over whether or not to post that quote and decided to anyway.
You will always be the teh devil no matter what you do and people will say u r the devil for doing or not doing this or that...the place where u do urself and 'the forum' the most harm is where you start doing the things YOU IMAGINE others want you to do.

tim
2004-10-22, 15:04
I've been viewing should I capitalise this..yes i think i will...YOUR forum for the past four days and have noticed activity to be very minimal if at all.
I also read ur big mean post to me in the section where I inquired why we couldn't see who's online?
czar had a very good answer for that one time saying that you dole out privileges to the special ones to make urselves feel important or elite.
What's the difference between you and me tom?
The fact u pay $13.00 a month for webhosting someone makes you morally impeccable now is that it, hon?
What's the difference between ur supermods and me? A fucken title, ay?
Well I can slap a guarantee on a piece of shit in a box and you still got a piece of shit in a box...same way as slapping titles of members and calling them ur lol..'staff'
A label doesn't bring with it any qualifications for administering these boards or dealing with people.
For you few who find me reprehensible..what if I paid the $13.00 for hosting or was liked by eclectica and thus became a mod?
Would I then be indisputable in my decisions?
think about it.

tim
2004-10-22, 15:11
your board thrives on the type of controversy I bring to it...you all love this shit more than life its self I think sometimes.
Anyway my point can be proven by Dollar_Girl posting in this thread to refute the points I just made ..any of them..some of them...one of them...or posting just to prove me wrong (she hasn't abandoned u or left the forum)
where's she been?
see what I mean?
she will now post to prove i have no influence or control over her and that I'm wrong about her..but I really don't think I give a shit.
I think she's the only one u care about impressing tom.
u remind me of a fireman that is so eager to be seen as a hero he goes out and starts fires just to make himself look like a hero.
i hope i made my point.
The point is people love the shit i bring to forum...you didn't have to do anything to stop me..secretly she loved the shit..just look how her decreased posting has paid off since i've curtailed my posting here..now she'll feel obligated to make a few pity posts for u out of sympathy to try and show ur forum isn't dead...but we and u have eyes...and when i don't respond to her or berate her in any way the controversy and appeal fades away like it has over the past four days.

nanook
2004-10-25, 08:55
This is sort of true. If Dollar isn't posting, then you aren't. That's why you haven't been here, right? So, actually, this is your sneaky way of getting her to post, so then you have a reason to. These forums are your only way of really being with her, in your wierd sense of things. And I'm not saying this is a bad thing on your part, btw. Now, what she has to say about it, I just don't know.
You know it's alright for there to be a little time out by the posters. It just means they have a life.

slx
2004-10-25, 13:57
For you few who find me reprehensible..what if I paid the $13.00 for hosting or was liked by eclectica and thus became a mod?
Would I then be indisputable in my decisions?
think about it.no fats..."I can slap a guarantee on a piece of shit in a box and you still got a piece of shit in a box"

you'd still be a piece of crap

tim
2004-10-26, 07:31
This is sort of true. If Dollar isn't posting, then you aren't. That's why you haven't been here, right? So, actually, this is your sneaky way of getting her to post, so then you have a reason to. These forums are your only way of really being with her, in your wierd sense of things. And I'm not saying this is a bad thing on your part, btw. Now, what she has to say about it, I just don't know.
You know it's alright for there to be a little time out by the posters. It just means they have a life.

you got it partly right.

tim
2004-10-26, 07:32
no fats..."I can slap a guarantee on a piece of shit in a box and you still got a piece of shit in a box"

you'd still be a piece of crap

what makes u any different?

tim
2004-10-26, 07:34
if u don't want to hurt someone then just don't. its as simple as that.

Dollar_Girl
2004-10-26, 23:37
lol @ posts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 & 10.

tim
2004-10-28, 00:51
lol @ posts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 & 10.

why? what's so funny? :/ :confused:

tim
2004-10-30, 01:16
why? what's so funny? :/ :confused:

how typical.