View Full Version : Question

nanook
2004-10-28, 12:24
Ok, where I work, there can be a bit of competition. You know, who gets done faster, etc. Fine. But I get frickin tired, cause to do this, you have to work your ass off to beat the other guy. Fine. I can usually beat this dude, but I don't want to work like that, all day, every day, (I should say night).
But every time I slack off and say I don't give a fuck today, and he gets ahead of me, I just can't stand it and start giving er. Should I just let the guy have the glory or what? It's just that when I do sit back and let the guy get ahead of me, he thinks he's gotta then slow down and patronize me. So when I really don't give a fuck and just do my work, he just prompts me to want to whip his ass even more the next round.
Ok, do I have a problem or what? I know it is my decision as to how I'd like to work for the day, but still, it always ends up being a competition.
Opinions people...please.

eclectica
2004-10-28, 12:46
I am not competitive with my peers at work. I don't have to be because I am unionized and I don't work in that type of atmosphere. Some companies like the workers to compete with each other so they get more out of them. But the downside of that type of atmosphere is that the cooperation is reduced, and while the boss if powerful the product the employees produce is lower quality, because it is in the interest of each employee for the other employees to fail.

You will always get people who are ass kissers and will try to make themselves look good. Hopefully you work for a company that is pragmatic which can see through the bullshit. Most workers have a varying set of skills and traits with particular strengths in certain tasks. Don't let one particular standard of your work be a judging factor in whether a worker is good or not. For example, a worker may come in late every day but could be a hard worker or have the patience to produce quality work.

nanook
2004-10-28, 13:25
We are unionized and it is a very large workforce. Everyone, generally has their own job, but because our work has to be done on both sides of our product, we have the exact same workload and type of work. This is what gives our particular jobs that competitive atmosphere. We have an alotted time frame and work area. It is very tedious, working with small parts. Both our work is good, when completed, it is hard not to get it done well or complete. We have repairmen on hand to fix or repair anything hindering our work, which may take it out of our station. As for ass-kissing, I don't know who he could be trying to impress, there's no way to fuck it up, unless you forget to do something, which will only be completed by the repairman. Plus you do sooo many a day, you could do it in your sleep.
I like the guy. He's cool and all. We get along good. It's the patronizing I hate, and would just let him get done first all the time. Hell, I even help the guy when he gets behind or is having a hard time with something.
I wonder, Eclectica, if you were in the same type of job, where it could be competitive, how would you handle it?

nicobie
2004-10-29, 23:51
If they had to shut 1/2 of the plant down I would expect the company would keep the employees that make them the most amount of money. That what I'd do/did.

Life is a bitch, U know. U just have to take it by the balls and squeeze.....

tim
2004-10-30, 01:13
If they had to shut 1/2 of the plant down I would expect the company would keep the employees that make them the most amount of money. That what I'd do/did.

Life is a bitch, U know. U just have to take it by the balls and squeeze.....

hope u like the taste of cum. :P ;) :D

nicobie
2004-10-31, 00:35
hope u like the taste of cum. :P ;) :D

I wouldn't know dillweed.

I figure with u that was mothers milk.