View Full Version : mistakes I've made as the administrator here

eclectica
2004-10-31, 07:37
Mistakes made as an administrator fall into two types: mistakes of judgement, and technical mistakes. Mistakes are not to be seen in a black and white view, but instead there are shades of grey when you consider that mistakes you ended up regretting were also liberating. So here are the mistakes I've made on the board.

I'll start with the technical ones. One time more than a year ago I left the bulletin board turned off after doing a routine backup, and the forum was offline for about nine hours. Fortunately for me when I woke up the next morning I immediately remembered, and turned it back on. The newer version of vBulletin, version 3, gives you a visible warning when you turn off the board so it's harder to accidentally leave it off. Often after I turn on the board I worry later if I had forgotten to turn it back on because I don't remember doing so. It's like leaving your house or your car and wondering if you forgot to lock your door.

I made most technical mistakes as the new admin of The Real Underground in April 2003. At first I had problem with the links and people couldn't register to the board because the email validation wasn't working. Also I didn't run the old script used with vBulletin 2 called repair.php properly. I had a shitty webhoster that dropped the site after a month so I had to move the forum to another webhoster, and had trouble doing that. But that mistake was also liberating because I dropped The Real Underground and built The Inferno instead.

The two biggest mistakes I made in judgement were as follows on this board:

1. The removal of slx from being Super Moderator 2004-08-09. This to me was the biggest mistake I ever made here. Afterwards I hated myself and was angry at myself for doing that and felt like I was treating slx like a toy of mine that I discarded. I'm fortunate he came back on August 13 and accepted the position again. You can see this thread here for the details on that:
http://www.3-3-3.org/forum/showthread.php?t=655

2. Deleting approximately 1700 of tim's posts on 2004-09-10. This one I have mixed feelings on. If given the choice now I wouldn't delete those posts, but it was also liberating to do so. You can read this thread for the details on that:
http://www.3-3-3.org/forum/showthread.php?t=575

slx
2004-10-31, 11:01
say 7 hail marys, drink a thimble of wine with a stale cracker, then go drench yourself in a pond...

you'll then be forgiven of your sins my son

eclectica
2004-10-31, 21:27
say 7 hail marys, drink a thimble of wine with a stale cracker, then go drench yourself in a pond...

or...

Make an even bigger set of mistakes so that the earlier ones don't seem so bad by comparison.

nicobie
2004-11-01, 01:34
or...

Make an even bigger set of mistakes so that the earlier ones don't seem so bad by comparison.

I agree u did the right thing about slx.

When it comes to tttimmy, let the dillweed die.

slx
2004-11-01, 01:37
ec....you tend to sweat the little things

i doubt there's anything you or any of us could do here that would be life shattering or jeopardize national security

lighten up on yourself....have a few beers on me

hey nic....you are gonna vote kerry...right dude?

eclectica
2004-11-01, 03:19
Thanks for the beers

:beer:

nanook
2004-11-02, 11:39
Slx is right. I think we've all made mistakes with our online personalities. Be it as administrators, as friends, as posters, buyers, sellers, etc. It all comes down to who are your real friends. Yes, I believe you can have real friends online. And for every other thing, you just live and learn. ;)

nicobie
2004-11-06, 03:31
But 'lurkie still can't display the time properly.

tim
2005-01-17, 03:06
I think I have fully forgiven you for this now.

and....oh yeah...

I still want to have sex with you! ;) :p

nanook
2005-01-18, 16:20
Nice tits, Tim. She needs to shake em' like she means it though. lol.

tim
2005-01-18, 16:27
Nice tits, Tim.

dude I hear that all the time :pitbull:

nicobie
2005-01-19, 01:35
I thought tttimmy died and his balls were potted with extra phosphorus with the hope of a decent person popping up this time.

sighhhhhhhhhh

tim
2005-01-19, 03:17
I thought tttimmy died and his balls were potted with extra phosphorus with the hope of a decent person popping up this time.

sighhhhhhhhhh

can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit.

nicobie
2005-01-21, 01:30
hehe\giggle

Dollar_Girl
2005-01-22, 13:36

sighhhhhhhhhh

lol :recall:

nicobie
2005-01-25, 00:04
I like U're sig $

'bout damn time too ;)

Dollar_Girl
2005-01-25, 09:31
lol, hey nic. how's life been treatin' you recently? :eatout:

nicobie
2005-01-26, 00:48
lol, hey nic. how's life been treatin' you recently? :eatout:

As I always say, "Always good".

Nobody want's to hear the crap, so why not try to shine.

I hope U've got your head above the crapola too. (sounds like u do)

L o Lovies~

nicobie
2005-01-26, 00:51
I like U're sig $
;)

Did I type sig? when I meant the bit of script under your Dollar sign?

mass-delusion
2005-01-30, 09:52
It's always a good sign when people in positions of authority can be open and honest about mistakes they made.

Unfortunately, many leaders adhere to the prevailing wisdom that stipulates that mistakes should never be admitted, nor apologies given - since doing so would compromise a leader's aura of authority.

slx
2005-01-30, 13:23
It's always a good sign when people in positions of authority can be open and honest about mistakes they made.

Unfortunately, many leaders adhere to the prevailing wisdom that stipulates that mistakes should never be admitted, nor apologies given - since doing so would compromise a leader's aura of authority.aren't mistakes only lessons learn'd?

Criminal_Sniper
2005-02-12, 18:57
ive made the same mistake twice
by learning do we go any better lol?
i forget sometimes