View Full Version : double standards for immigrants

eclectica
2005-04-20, 10:45
My wife is going to get sworn in as a United States citizen today. We have been married more than nine years and after a long process she is getting the citizenship. First what one has to do is get one's "green card", which makes the person a legal permanent resident. Then after having the green card for three years, one can apply for citizenship if one is married to an American citizen. The reason it took nine years is that the INS kept losing applications and our files, and there were major delays. INS cases would become backlogged, so the way they would clear their backlogs would be to discard hundreds of thousands of applications. We had to pay a lawyer to refile her case. We filed address changes with them and they kept sending appointment notices to our old address long after we moved out. One time her work permit expired due to their delays, and she worked at her job for about two months without being paid. They said they would give her back pay after she got her work permit but when she got it they then changed their minds and said they couldn't. She quit that job not long afterwards.

You would think that such a vital thing like the ability to work or to be a legal resident would get top priority and attention by a government. Imagine if when your driver's license expired, renewing it was a two-year process which required you to hire a lawyer after they lost your paperwork and had you totally start over so that you had to requalify as if you were a brand new driver, and take your road test again.

Immigrants are held to higher standards than Americans, and are exploited because of their inability to get working papers. So they have to get illegal jobs or use someone else's work papers. The idea that they are leeching off the country is just plain wrong, as most of them want to work. The leeches who are in this country are the ones who are born here and take their citizenship for granted. I would like to trade out the spoiled brats in America with some immigrants in order to revitalize the country and to give all parties what they deserve.

Here are the questions that immigrants must answer NO to on a piece of paper before being sworn in as United States citizens. This is from the INS website and is dated 2003. The form they gave my wife is dated 1992 and combines questions three and four into one question.

AFTER the date you were first interviewed on your Application for Naturalization,
Form N-400:

1. Have you married, or been widowed, separated or divorced? (If "Yes," please bring documented proof of marriage, death, separation or divorce.)

2. Have you traveled outside the United States?

3. Have you knowingly committed any crime or offense, for which you have not been arrested?

4. Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?

5. Have you joined any organization, including the Communist Party, or become associated or connected therewith in any way?

6. Have you claimed exemption from military service?

7. Has there been any change in your willingness to bear arms on behalf of the United States; to perform non-combatant service in the armed forces of the United States; to perform work of national importance under civilian direction, if the law requires it?

8. Have you practiced polygamy, received income from illegal gambling, been a prostitute, procured anyone for prostitution or been involved in any other unlawful commercialized vice, encouraged or helped any alien to enter the United States illegally, illicitly trafficked in drugs or marijuana, given any false testimony to obtain immigration benefits, or been a habitual drunkard?

Form N-445 (Rev. 09/12/03)

Dollar_Girl
2005-04-20, 15:56
I think it is ridiculous that they lost your wifes application papers so many times. 9 years to finally be sworn in as a citizen due to incompitence doesn't give people too much faith in the system.

Question number five is strange lol. I really didn't think they still asked if you have joined the communist party.

Most of the immigrants i know, are very happy to have work, even though they mainly work in crap factories or as dishwashers in the hospitality industry. However, i also know of many who have been here for over 2+ years and havn't taken a single english course, or applied for a single job. There is no excuse being young, healthy, and in Australia for 2+ years and still not being able to speak any english besides "hello".

From what i have seen, first generation immigrants usually work just for survival. They then encourage the second generation to work for comfort and even luxury and discourage working purely to survive.

eclectica
2005-04-21, 00:53
I'm reading through some old letters I sent in a folder I have labeled War Against Government which includes parking tickets I fought. I found a letter I sent to my Congressman in February 2001 asking for him to intervene to save Napster. I came across one letter that I never sent because it was said to be too radical by others who read it. Here it is:

Tuesday, 28 MAR 00

Attention Attorney-General Reno:

I am an American citizen, and have been married to my wife, a noncitizen, for approximately four and a half years. Almost immediately after being married, we applied for a green card. It is supposed to take six months to get a green card. My wife should already have been a citizen by now.

Each year we have to go through the inconvenience and expense of renewing a work permit. But a work permit does not measure up to a green card. For example, my wife is interested in going to graduate school, but she is not able to do so because she has no green card and thus is not eligible for a fellowship.

We have written many letters, copies of which I am enclosing, but to no avail. It's as if the INS has fallen asleep on us. The most recent letter was written by my wife, and the response she got incorrectly referred to her application for Adjustment of Status as an application for Naturalization. She was told that she has nothing to do but wait for a request from the INS for new fingerprints. All we've been doing so far is waiting. How long are we going to wait...20 years?

I believe the INS is extremely incompetent and gets away with it because most voters do not have to deal with the organization. So there is no pressure to reform, as heads are not rolling and the system is comfortable and stable. Yet there must be many people out there who are very angry with the organization, and of those, all it would take is one to go the extra step from passivity to violence.

When people are angry at the government, and are not able to resolve their grievances through peaceful means, then they resort to violent ones. The majority of people are peaceful, but it only takes one or or a few to change the whole atmosphere of the dialogue. As I recall, the hearings into the events of Waco, Texas only took place after the Oklahoma City bombing. I don't think there would have been much interest in the subject if there were not the bombing.

So sadly, I've reached the conclusion that the only way for the INS to be overhauled is for something drastic like that to happen. As you can see, the years of letter writing have done nothing. Although I wouldn't do anything to ruin my life such as "go postal", I know that if someone struck against the INS, it would be to my benefit.

Isn't it a shame that that's the conclusion that I've come to?

Dollar_Girl
2005-04-21, 15:07
did u not send it because others thought it was too radical, or because you thought it was too radical?

badfish_76
2005-04-21, 19:01
Man, I prolly wouldn't have sent it in for fear that they would have taken it as a veiled threat.

slx
2005-04-21, 22:06
i'm unsure that this can be answered but......

where would your thoughts be, on immigration, if not for it being personal

eclectica
2005-04-21, 22:46
I didn't think it was too radical, but my wife did and thought I shouldn't send it. I worried a little that it would get her bad attention or delay her case, and also I didn't think it would make much of a difference to send a letter to the Attorney General.

In regards to my views on immigration, I think it is a good thing to have because it enrichens the country and provides diversity. I think they ought to liberalize some of their policies and try to keep families intact. For example, if a person has children under the age of 18 who are American citizens living in this country and is an illegal immigrant, the person can still be deported. I don't like the idea of giving immigrants temporary legal status that expires after a while. Some countries do that in order to meet the work demands of an economy that is growing, and when the economy has a recession all the immigrants become illegal. Using and disposing of people in such a manner is wrong.

slx
2005-04-22, 01:57
i just now read the letter you pen'd to janet reno.....you did the right thing by not sending that letter to any gov ofcl.....if you had, you'd probably be on one or more watch lists for life

smart move e